Click the links below to view images and information from the Archives

1784-Samuel Doak establishes Martin’s Academy (renamed Washington College in 1795).
1794-Hezekiah Balch charters Greeneville College.
1808-Hugh Brown receives the first degree from Tusculum’s predecessor, Greeneville College.
1816/1818-Samuel Witherspoon Doak (son of Samuel Doak) founds Tusculum Academy, along with his father.
1830-Samuel Witherspoon Doak builds his 2-story, brick home (currently the Doak House Museum) on land next to Frank Creek, just outside of Greeneville.*
1835-A two-room log building is built near the Doak House on Frank Creek to house the growing Tusculum Academy.
1841-“Old College” is built due to growth of student enrollment. It is the oldest “academic” building on the college campus.*
1844-Tusculum Academy becomes Tusculum College.
1868-Greeneville College and Tusculum College merge into Greeneville & Tusculum College (G & T).
1875-Greeneville & Tusculum College admits women for the first time.
1878-First student newspaper, “The Record”, began by student editor/printer Landon C. Haynes. Later it became known as “The Pioneer”.
1887-McCormick Hall is built using funds donated by Nettie Fowler McCormick, widow of Cyrus McCormick, inventor of the mechanical reaper.*
1891-Craig Hall is built. Named for Rev. William G. Craig, Nettie McCormick’s pastor, and friend of the college.*
1900-Baseball becomes the first sport to field a recognizable team for the Pioneers.
1901-Virginia Hall is built. Designed by renowned architect Louis Sullivan, family associate of the McCormick’s, it was the college’s first modern building including baths and furnace heat. It was named in honor of the McCormick’s daughter, Mary Virginia.*
1902-First women’s sports team (tennis) formed.
1903-Intercollegiate play begins.
1903-Football team forms.
1906-Basketball team forms.
1908-A merger with Washington College produces Washington & Tusculum College (W & T).
1909-The President’s House is built across the road from the Tusculum Campus.
1910-Carnegie Hall (Garland Library) is built with funds from steel-tycoon Andrew Carnegie, to house the library and gymnasium (with a 2nd floor running track).*
1912-Washington & Tusculum merger dissolved leaving the current Tusculum College.
1912-Professional coaches join the TC staff for the first time.
1913-McCormick Day established. Now known as Nettie Day, a day of service on campus and around the community.
1914-Haynes Hall is built with funds from Nettie McCormick. It was named in honor of Landon C. Haynes, Tusculum faculty member for 65 years.*
1917-The Arch is built at the College’s traditional entrance, directly out from the entrance of McCormick Hall.*
1917-First yearbook published and known over the years as the “Tusculana” and the “Opus”.
1920-First women’s basketball team appeared.
1923-Gordon Hall is built. This is the last building to be built on campus using funds donated by Nettie McCormick, who died later that same year. It is named for another McCormick family member.*
1924-The first year Tusculum is formally accredited by SACS: the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. As a result, Tusculum’s Preparatory Department, which operated as a local high school, is closed to meet SACS standards.
1925-The college becomes a member of the Smoky Mountain Athletic Association, securing the future of intercollegiate athletics at Tusculum.
1926-The Gymnasium is built containing a basement pool, indoor basketball court, and offices.
1928-Cyrus McCormick II donates a final family gift of $15,000 to the college and asks that Gordon Hall be renamed. It is rededicated Rankin Hall in honor of senior professor Thomas S. Rankin.
1928/1930-The Science Building is built using the last of the money donated by the McCormick family. This is the only Tusculum building to be used continually for the same purpose.*
1930-Carnegie Hall is renamed Carnegie Library as it is now solely used for library functions since the new gymnasium was built.
1930’s-Intramural program is begun. The Lady Pioneer’s softball team first appears as a part of this program.
1950’s-Lantern Festival begins honoring graduating seniors and soon-to-be seniors.
1962-Katherine Hall (Dormitory) is built.
1965-Annie Hogan Byrd Fine Arts Center and Chapel is built.
1966-Soccer first appears at Tusculum College.
1969-The Charles Oliver Gray Complex (COG) is built. Containing three modern, air-conditioned dormitories and a classroom building.
1970-The Simerly Union Building is built and connected to the gymnasium by the post office. It contained such places as the bookstore, cafeteria, Student Lounge, and other rooms and offices.
1971-The Herbert L. Shulman Human Resources Center is built.
1984-The Professional Studies Program is born. Originally known as Tusculum Adult Leaders Learning, or TALL.
1989-The Science Building becomes the Tredway Science Building in honor of William L. Tredway, alumnus and benefactor of the college.
1991-The Civic Arts Core program is begun.
1991-The Block Calendar is adopted: one 3½ hour course at a time lasting 3½ weeks, 4 courses a semester with block breaks in between.
1991-The Carnegie Library is rededicated in honor of Albert Columbus Tate, valedictorian of the 1894 Centennial class, becoming Tate Library.
1992-Roger M. Nichols Tennis Complex built.
1992/1993-“Old College” is restored to its original appearance and becomes the Pres. Andrew Johnson Museum and Library with help from Tusculum alumnus and great-granddaughter of Andrew Johnson, Margaret Johnson Patterson Bartlett. It also houses the College Archives and the original college library-The Coffin Collection-from Greeneville College. Today, it is also home to the Museum Studies Program.
1994-Tusculum College celebrates its Bicentennial.
1998-Craig Hall is renamed Welty-Craig in honor of Stanley R. Welty, a Board of Trustees Chairman and benefactor of the college.
1998-Pioneer Arena is built, replacing the former gymnasium.
1999-Niswonger Commons is built, replacing the Simerly Student Union building, and includes the post office, cafeteria, bookstore, student coffee lounge, student radio station, offices, and classrooms.
2000-New indoor sports complex is built, housing such sports as soccer.
2002-Four new apartment-style dorms built behind “Old College”.
2005-Renovation and expansion of Tusculum Library.
2005-Niswonger Sports Complex/Pioneer Park Opens.
2008-Library dedicated and renamed the Thomas J. Garland Library.
2009 – Tusculum hires first woman President, Dr. Nancy Moody.
2013 – Two new apartment-style dorms built behind “Old College”.

* Listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Tusculum College Archives
Glimpses of Tusculum A Pictorial History of Tusculum College – Donal J. Sexton, Jr. and Myron J. “Jack” Smith, Jr.
The Life and Times of Tusculum College– Joseph T. Fuhrmann
Tusculum College Tennessee – Frank T. Wheeler