On January 27-28, Tusculum College’s service-learning classes will be assisting the Appalachian Regional Coalition on Homelessness on the 2011 Point-in-Time Count. The Point-in-Time Count project is an event to document the homeless and precariously-housed homeless populations in the county.
This area count will be the primary basis for the receipt of federal and state funds for our area’s agencies; therefore, it is vital that the count be as accurate as possible.
How can the Tusculum College community assist?
1. Volunteer: you may work on the actual count or assist in administrative matters.
2. Donate. WE will be handing out supplies to the homeless. Because ht items must be durable and weather-resistant, as well as portable, we are asking for the following:
- a. Individually wrapped protein/granola bars
- b. Sports/Tube socks
- c. Inexpensive rain slickers or ponchos
- d. Individually portioned jars of peanut butter
- e. Packaged fruit (dehydrated)
3. Pass on information on homeless persons or people who may live in substandard housing (i.e. several families to a unit, no running water or electricity, etc. We will investigate any tips.
If you wish to help or want to donate, please contact Will Lewis, Joyce Doughty or Robin Fife at the Center for Civic Advancement, Ext. 5372.